1. Describe a time when you felt out of place or that you didn’t belong.
2. What kind of behaviors do you tend to look down on?
3. Have you ever felt like you had to do good or avoid bad in order to be accepted by God?
4. Jesus said, “Follow me.” and Matthew followed. (Matt. 9:9) What did Matthew leave behind? What have you had to leave behind to follow Jesus?
5. What is most uncomfortable about Jesus’ actions in Matthew 9:9-13? Why is that? What fears does a passage like this surface? How do you need to respond to Jesus’ actions?